Sunday, May 17, 2009

Salad and Tomorrow's Dinner

I've eaten like crap this weekend... so for dinner I made some herb roasted chicken breasts (for my roommates), my roommate Brittany made roasted potatoes, and I made a delightful salad:





I've forgotten how delicious just plain old salad can be. I tend to purchase bag salad and it's so wasteful. This was a good reminder of how much better just purchasing a head of lettuce and some veggies (I love spicy radishes) can be, how much longer they'll last, and how much cheaper they are by comparison (especially if I use them before they have a chance to go bad). I've been liking this simple vinegarette I borrowed and have since appropriated from a restaurant I used to work at. I need to measure out the ingredients some time, but it's a mustard vinegarette... it's spicy and really flavorful. The leftovers of the salad will make for a delicious lunch tomorrow.

Dinner tomorrow is going to be my take on cilantro chicken. I already have some chicken thighs marinating:



...In about 1/3 cup soy sauce, 1/4 cup rice vinegar, 2-3 tbsp sesame oil, 1 tsp sambal olek or similar chili garlic paste, 3 chopped green onions, 1 crushed clove of garlic, and 1 1/2 tsp dark brown sugar. If I had ginger I'd throw some of that in as well. In general (if you take out the brown sugar, reduce the sambal, and add a little fish sauce) this is a great all around asian marinade for veggies/salmon/chicken, but the sweet spiciness in this variation should lend itself well to the massive amount of cilantro I'll add to it tomorrow when it's cooking. I plan on shredding some carrots to get the effect of a broad noodle (way healthier/less carbs than actual broad noodles) and adding some green and red peppers into the mix as well.

It should be a wonderfully colorful meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment