Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Re-Refried Beans

Okay, now I'm happy with the recipe (although again, so much of this recipe belongs to my friend Thena, I only made up the amounts and some of the ingredients... it's all in keeping with her original idea).

Refried Beans

1 tbsp olive oil
1/2 a large onion, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 chipotle pepper (optional, provides well-rounded heat, add more if you like)
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1 4 oz can diced green chiles, liquid and all

1 15 oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 15 oz can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
3/4 cup chicken stock

FIrst things first, preheat a medium sized pot over medium heat with the olive oil. Once it's nice and toasty, add the onion. Cook over medium heat for about 15 minutes, the onion should be nearly brown. Add the garlic, chipotle, cumin, salt and pepper. Cook for another 5 minutes. Add the green chiles and cook for another 5 minutes. That will get you to this stage:



Next add the beans and cook for about 10 minutes longer. It seems like a long time cooking, but the beans need to warm through and start to cook themselves.



Finally, use a potato masher, or whatever mashing/pureeing weapon of choice you have and mash the hell out of the beans. Even with a masher the texture isn't uniform, but I try to go for a smooth consistency with the occasional chunk of beans as best as I can. Now add the chicken stock and cook the mixture down for about 5 - 10 minutes more. I like my refried beans creamy, not liquidy.



See? I told you they don't take a great picture, but they're delicious. I think some of these guys are going over some brown rice tomorrow, with some salsa, avocado, and a fried egg :D

No comments:

Post a Comment