Monday, May 18, 2009

Cilantro Chicken

Wow... just wow. Not to toot my own horn, but I've kinda out done myself with this meal.

I started with some carrot broad noodles. I've made faux noodles before, out of thinly sliced cabbage, but I figured, since I wanted a broader noodle (and not have to worry about what to do with the rest of the cabbage) why not use carrots? I sauteed them in a little bit of oil, garlic and soy sauce and just... wow. I'm not even one to like carrots (not a big fan of the flavor), but roasted or in soup or something to that effect I'm totally down with. And these were awesome.

Then came the chicken. I had a package of chicken thighs (very friendly on the budget-minded) marinating over night. I added some red and green pepper and cooked it all with the sauce, added some cilantro at the very end and everything just came together. I owe Rebecca B for the inspiration to make this dish... but wow, I think I'm in love (and feeling waaay more confidant in my asian food repertoire).

Carrot Broad Noodles

2 carrots
1 tbsp vegetable oil
1 garlic clove
splash of soy sauce

Take a long vegetable peeler and peel the carrots into "noodles." Like so:



In a large non-stick skillet heat the oil over medium heat and add the garlic. Once it starts sizzling, add the carrots. It will seem dry once they absorb the oil, so then add the soy sauce, this will also add some flavor. Cook for about 5 - 10 minutes. Taste for doneness - I like them just barely al dente so that all of the real crunch is gone. And there you have it, a delicious low carb, healthy alternative to traditional noodles.



Cilantro Chicken

The chicken thighs from last night :P
1/2 red bell pepper
1 green bell pepper
1/2 bunch cilantro, chopped

In the same skillet as above, add a little more oil, and all of the chicken, reserving the remaining marinade. SLice the peppers and set aside. Once the chicken begins cooking on one side, turn it over and add the peppers on top. Once it seems cooked on the bottom (a total of maybe 10 minutes) add the remaining marinade. Cover and cook about 15 minutes longer, stirring occasionally. Once the time is up, uncover, and cook for about 5 minutes, add the cilantro and cook for 5-10 minutes longer, until the sauce is cooked down to a nice thick glaze. Serve on top of the carrot noodles and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment