Friday, May 1, 2009

Roasted Garlic

This is such a wonderful tool.

I'm going to a friend's place for what I'm sure will be a delicious spaghetti dinner and offered to bring some anti pasta. I kinda failed at the rest of the anti pasta (ie failing to run by the store and get it, but I did pick up some extra heads of garlic. A little olive oil, salt, and water or broth and you're good to go.

Roasted Garlic

? heads of garlic
1 tsp or so of olive oil (eye ball it) per head
salt
water (or broth or white wine)
pepper
(rosemary? sure, if you've got some laying around)

First, Preheat oven to 450 degrees

Next, peel as much of the extra, papery layers of skin off of the head(s) of garlic. Cut the top 1/2 inch or so of the heads off to expose the garlicky innards. I even ran my knife along the outside to get outer cloves of garlic exposed. Drizzle each head with some olive oil, and sprinkle with the salt and pepper (and chopped rosemary if you've got it). Then add a little water, broth or wine to the pan (let's say about a 1/2 cup).



Place in a preheated 450 degree oven for 45 minutes or until the garlic is soft (pierce with a fork to see) and brown (semi-caramelized). I expect this deliciousness to be spread on some toasted bread or already garlicked bread... I may even mix some with some noodles.



Oh, and other applications? Folded into mashed potatoes = DELICIOUS; whisked into a sauce = AMAZING; cloves roasted with chicken = HAPPENING THIS WEEKEND, along with trying my hand at some chewy oatmeal chocolate chip cookies, and you'll get my recipe for cinnamon rolls :)

No comments:

Post a Comment