Sunday, May 10, 2009

Refried beans

This was not a fail, by any means,
these fried and refried, refried beans.

But that's not to say I'm comfortable or satisfied with the recipe just yet.

I asked my delightful friend Daoine (pronounced Thena) about her recipe. Basically they both started off with sauteeing finely chopped onion until brown, adding garlic, salt, pepper and two cans of beans. I used black beans, but she prefers kidney beans. I then added about 1/2 cup or so of chicken stock and cooked it over medium heat. Once the stock was bubbly, I mashed it all and cooked it down for about another five minutes. Finally, I added a wee bit more salt, some cumin, and some adobo sauce from a can of chipotles.

The flavor was good, the mixture was a bit dry, and the appearance was atrocious (I mean, it's not like refried beans ever look really appealing, but mashed black beans, in particular, turn into his dark grey, wholly unattractive creature). After comparing notes with Daoine, one main difference I discovered was that she added a can of green chiles to her beans. This would certainly make up for the slight dryness of my beans.

So for next time (likely later this week) there will be a recipe for some delicious refried beans (which will probably be eaten with brown rice, salsa, and maybe, just maybe, a fried egg ). Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment