Saturday, October 24, 2009

Recipe Redux

I've been terrible at posting this week. My laptop has been removed from my room to our kitchen which, one would think, would equal more posting. However, the opposite has been true.

So let's look back, shall we?

I made some banana bread using my recipe for banana muffins. However the only nut I had were some almonds. This was only moderately successful. I really do prefer muffins, but I just need to find my old banana bread recipe and make a loaf of that.

I failed miserably at a recipe of the ultimate chocolate chip cookies. This failure prompted me to purchase a hand mixer. When making those cookies by hand they only seem to work part of the time. A hand mixer is both affordable and will have multiple uses, potentially making my baking life easier.

Last night, I made a steak. I had just turned in my prospectus and had drink with the head of Rhet Comp and some other second year MA friends. I went home and fired up the range. I set a metal (not non-stick) pan on and let it get warm. Then I poured in a little oil and seared the hell out of it. Seasoning-wise I just put some salt and pepper on it. After I had seared both sides I put the steak on a pan and slid it into a 350 degree oven for about 15 minutes. In the mean time I poured some beef stock and red wine into the pan to make a pan jus... poured it over the steak when it came out.

I haven't eaten any kind of meat in a few weeks. Not for any reason, I just don't keep it in my diet with any kind of regularity. This steak was heaven.

Up ahead, cinnamon raisin bagels and beer ice cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment