Friday, October 30, 2009

Cranberry Raisin Bagels

It's been about 5 days since I made these guys, so I suck at updating, but still... I so love bagels...

I used the same recipe from last week (or a few posts ago). Only I substituted half of the bread flour that I normally use for all of my baking purposes, for whole wheat flour. This provides a nuttier flavor and texture.

Then, with the flour and salt, I added 3/4 cup each raisins and cranberries. Everything else about the recipe was the same as before - knead, let the dough rise, make bagels, boil, bake. After I boiled the bagels but before they went into the oven, I sprinkled oats on top - more for affect than anything.



I have to say, these bagels well exceeded my expectations. They were so much better than last weeks. I think I may have been a little more liberal in my use of water and thus my used of flour. In the end though the dough itself seemed softer. I definitely want to recreate these results in the future.



Coming up, more bagels, this time I' making jalepeno-cheddar bagels for my friend Jess, and tomato basil soup with ricotta dumplings. If I'm feeling extra awesome this weekend, I may make some peanut butter and jelly cookies.

No comments:

Post a Comment