Sunday, October 25, 2009

Beer Ice Cream

Featuring the best ice cream base I think I've ever made:

Beer Ice Cream

1 cup sugar
6 egg yolks
1 tbsp cornstarch
1 1/2 cups half and half

1/2 cup whole milk
1 tsp vanilla

2/3 cup dark stout (I used Founders Breakfast Stout)

For the base:

Whisk together the egg yolks, sugar, and corn starch. In a medium saucepan heat the half and half until it's boiling. Temper the egg yolk mixture with the hot cream, then return the mixture to the sauce pan and stir constantly, until thick. Then strain and chill. This is the best ice cream base ever, from here you can add 1 cup of milk and vanilla and whatever flavorings you want. Once you have the custard down, everything else is just making sure the liquids measure out correctly. For this recipe I also added 1 tsp instant coffee granules to the egg sugar mixture to give it a slightly coffee flavor.

For this recipe I reduced the whole milk by 1/2 cup and replaced it with 2/3 cup beer. Originally I planned on doing a one to one replacement, but decided I wanted a slightly beer-ier flavor. More water based liquid = larger ice crystals, so be careful of doing this.

Then I let the coffee/beer ice cream mixture chill in the refrigerator until it was nice and cold and put it in my ice cream maker for about 35 minutes.



*Gorgeous*



*Delicious*

Up next... cranberry raisin wheat bagels :)

1 comment:

  1. Came across this on the net, seemed like something one who blogs about food might be interested in...

    http://lifehacker.com/5390285/victorinox-chefs-knife-performs-like-a-100%252B-knife-for-much-less

    ReplyDelete