Wednesday, April 1, 2009

This quarter's challenges...

Well, due to funds being not as high as they have been, one of this quarter's primary challenges is living cheaply yet deliciously. I think this weekend we'll start with an amazing lentil soup, both filling, hearty, and easy on the wallet.

Another of the challenges came today in the form of gluten-free baked goods. I tried some gluten-free peanut butter banana muffins. They didn't turn out too bad, but I think I can do better. The current recipe I used (truthfully I started with a half recipe:

Peanut Butter Banana Muffins

2 cups brown rice flour
3 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt

2 tablespoons honey
1 cup buttermilk
1/4 cup butter, melted
2 eggs

2 bananas, one mashed, one chopped
1/2 cup peanut butter

Mix the dry ingredients together. In a separate bowl, mix the wet ingredients. Add the wet to the dry, mixing just until combined. Fold in the bananas and peanut butter. Fill muffin cups to the top (it should make about a dozen) and bake at 400 degrees for about 15 minutes or until light brown and firm.

These guys turned out alright, like I said, but I made the rice flour at home by using my coffee grinder to grind brown rice. I posted the recipe hoping to come back and edit it once I either purchase some brown rice flour or maybe use another, similar gluten-free flour to make them.

No comments:

Post a Comment