Friday, April 3, 2009

Gluten-free redux

So I purchased some brown rice flour since brown rice proved to be too difficult for my grad student mind, or my coffee grinder, to effectively process.

Ahem.

That's right, I'm trying to inject some humor into my blog. In lieu of a turkey baster, I'm using some parenthetical asides.

So anywho... banana muffins. They have a texture similar to banana bread, which is definitely pleasing. (Oh, the recipe is very similar to the previous Banana Peanut Butter muffins, but these have been the only ones tested with the store bought brown rice flour). I definitely consider these guys a success. I should note I used 2 cups of brown rice flour but, after baking, found the muffin sticking to the paper cup which, to me, says the batter was a little too wet, which I also thought as I was making. Hence, the recipe calls for 2 1/4 cups brown rice flour.

Gluten-Free Banana Crunch Muffins

2 1/4 cups Brown Rice Flour
1/4 cup granulated sugar
3 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt

1/4 cup honey
1 cup buttermilk
1/4 cup butter, melted
2 eggs
2 bananas, one mashed, one chopped

Like all muffin recipes it seems, combine the dry and wet ingredients separately, then fold the wet into the dry making sure not to over mix. This should make about a dozen muffins. I actually made a streusel topping for the muffins as well, but it didn't really work out... rather than staying crunchy an separate on top, it melted into the top of the muffin. Either way, bake at 375 for about 18 - 20 minutes or until brown on top and firm to the touch.



This was definitely a successful experiment.

Up next, some delicious Lentil soup for our 'living cheaply' challenge... aww grad school

No comments:

Post a Comment