Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Rant...

We all know that Youtube comments are perhaps the lowest form of communication currently available to internet users... however I think there is something just as bad for us foodies:

Online recipe database comments.

Now granted, these serve some kind of purpose (if 90/100 people hated a recipe, chances are I'm not going to make it) but what I love are the recipe-changer-haters. We all know these people. These are the people that comment on a chocolate chip cookie recipe saying something to the effect of... "well I didn't have flour so I just used some breadcrumbs, and I was out of chocolate chips so I used skittles, and they turned out TERRIBLE. I'M NEVER MAKING THIS RECIPE AGAIN!!!"

Conversely, you get the people that somehow think anonymity gives them the right to change a recipe they find anywhere. These people leave comments to the effect of, "it was okay but double the sugar, add a dash of paprika, 3 cloves of garlic, an extra egg, and cook it for twice as long." Clearly, I trust you crazy random person.

This is why I hate websites like epicurious or allrecipes. Sure, the recipes are great, but the comments will kill you. Hmm... I'm thinking a weekly addition to the futile gourmet coming up. Maybe something along the lines of the best recipe-changer-hater lines I find. This could be fun.

Also this weekend--recipe redux where I return to the previously mentioned best cookies in the world, and some delicious mac and cheese (as a reward for an awesome quarter at school).

No comments:

Post a Comment