Sunday, February 22, 2009

One Beer Chili

When it's cold out like this, nothing beats a big bowl of chili.

Except a big bowl of beer chili. The only liquid in this recipe other than a can of tomatoes is a beer (Rogue Shakespeare Stout works best, I've found).

One Beer Chili

1 large onion, diced
5 cloves of garlic, finely chopped or crushed (really it's garlic to taste... I probably use more)
2 lbs lean ground turkey (although about any meat would do here... and yes it's a lot)
2 cans cannelini beans, drained and rinsed
1 beer, preferably dark and flavorful
1 28 oz can crushed tomatoes

(this is what I use for warm spiciness, but these are really all to taste)
1 tbsp chili powder
1 tsp cayenne pepper
2 tsp cumin
1 chipotle pepper
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper

This is a pretty basic recipe; you can add almost anything and get away with it. Roasted peppers are great, as are other various kinds of hot pepper, but it all depends on your taste.

Prep stuff:
I pre-measure out my spices, and mash one can of the cannelini beans (it makes the chili thicker and adds protein-what's not to love?).
Heat 1 -2 tbsps olive oil in a large pot. Add the onion and saute over medium-medium high heat until translucent and starting to brown. Add the spices and cook until fragrant. Add the turkey and garlic and cook for about 8 - 10 minutes or until the turkey is almost cooked through. Add the beer, deglazing the bottom of the pan as you go. Add the beans, mixing in fully, followed by the tomatoes (trust me, I know it's the garlic is still kinda raw but in like 1 hour MAGIC will happen). Get that shit to a boil, and cover it, reduce the heat to low or medium low and let it go for at least an hour.

Taste it; adjust the spices as you like. If it's too soupy, remove the lid, increase the heat, and let it boil down for about 30 minutes. For me, this is perfection.



Note: I love garlic probably more than many of you, so you may want to start off with less. Also, if you have more time, I actually start with about 1/4 cup of olive oil in a smaller pan and about 10 cloves of garlic and 2 chipotle peppers in adobo. Cook it low and slow for about an hour, stirring occasionally. Your goal here is twofold: Make deliciously flavored oil, and to roast the garlic thus softening the flavor and making it sweet. I would then transfer this mixture to the big pot and start from the top, using all of that wonderful oil and omitting the garlic later on... or at least using less of it... hell I've made 18 cloves of garlic chili before, who am I kidding?!

1 comment:

  1. Mashing the beans! So smart! I will try that next time I make chili (although I just made a giant batch and froze some, so who knows when that will be).
    Miss you!!

    ReplyDelete