Saturday, February 14, 2009

Brownies...

Since we were on the topic of cookies and the chewy vs crispy debate, it only makes sense that brownies should follow with their delightful fudgey vs cakey argument.

I prefer fudgey brownies; they're just more delicious. Granted I'm also a self-confessed uncooked batter-eater so maybe that has something to do with it. I just feel if I wanted cake-like brownies, I'd just make a cake because, hey, frosting. Now for the recipes... and this is where I'm failing because I actually like brownie mixes. For my money, Ghirardelli probably has the best brownies in the world. But for those purests out there, I've got a great one bowl brownie recipe that will knock your socks off.

One Bowl Brownies

3/4 cup butter
4 oz unsweetened chocolate
1 cup sugar
1 cup brown sugar
3 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
a splash (about a tbsp or so) strong coffee
1 cup all purpose flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup to 1 cup chopped walnuts (or omit them entirely)

Melt the butter and chocolate together. Add the sugars and mix well. Add the eggs, one at a time, then the vanilla and the coffee. Add the flour and salt and mix just until combined. Finally, stir in the walnuts. Pour into a greased 13x9 inch pan and bake at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes (oven temperatures can vary so make sure not to over-bake). In the end you get these rich, wonderful heavenly things to keep you warm on a cold, lonely Valentine's Day



this is why I'll never be a food photographer... tune in next time for Curry!

No comments:

Post a Comment