Saturday, February 27, 2010

Treats

This week has been a week of stress, essay-writing, and hastily cobbled together meals. Case in point: I just finished up a soup consisting of vegetable broth, brussel sprouts, and green beans, thickened slightly with left-over mashed potatoes.

I'm not going to lie, it actually was pretty good. I love brussel sprouts in any form, and the mashed potato-thickened soup was creamy and full-bodied. But I digress.

I'm planning on cooking more this weekend and next week. Lately, I've been craving pasta, so I think some kind of chicken, spinach, broccoli alfredo bake is in order. Since casseroles tend not to keep as long as soups, I figure, by Friday at the latest, I'll be making a Moroccan Chicken and Lentil dish that can very easily be made vegetarian.

Right now though, I wanted to show off some fun food finds from this week.

More vanilla beans? Hell yes. I've been wanting to post this link for quite some time just so that it's easier for me to find in the future. Here's the product, 1/4 lb of Tahitian vanilla beans, excellent quality, arrived 3 days after I purchased them, vacuum-sealed and aromatic as all get out.



And here's the link (I know since it's an eBay store the site isn't as fancy as it could be, but trust me, 9 bucks for like 30 vanilla beans is totally worth it): Vanilla Products USA

Currently, I have vanilla beans in sugar and vanilla beans in vodka. Until I added more beans to my vodka batch it was getting quite dark. I figure in another month or two it will be the most amazing vanilla extract ever.

Next up, we have my favorite food in the world: eggs! Specifically we have more farm fresh eggs straight from my colleague's chicken's cloacae!



And finally, what I like to do with eggs when I really want to treat myself: get a lox and cream cheese bagel from Bagel Street Deli in uptown Athens, open-face it, and top it with scrambled eggs. Now that's what I call breakfast!

1 comment:

  1. Looks soooo delicious! So intrigued by the homemade vanilla extract! Very cool! Post that veggie Moroccan lentil recipe!
    http://bonappyall.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete