Thursday, February 18, 2010

Cooking Up is Hard to Do

At least it is right now. The quarter is winding down and the weather has made it difficult to cook. I'm trying to back down on my intake of sweets lately as well, so I've got some delicious vanilla sugar cookie dough just setting and waiting in my freezer to be enjoyed.

I did attempt, this last weekend, to make the BLT soup. Frankly, I need bacon. I began by slow roasting some garlic cloves in a couple tablespoons of bacon fat. I then removed the garlic and added some flour to make a roux. After that began cooking, I added onions and sauteed until they were soft and the roux was a nice toasty brown color.

After that I added a couple quarts of my mother's home-canned tomatoes as well as a bunch of kale. Oh yes, I also added the roasted garlic, chopped back in as well. Basically, the taste of bacon came out very subtly, overwhelmed by the roasted garlic and tomato. It's not a bad soup at all, in fact it's quite tasty, and I especially like the kale. However, it's certainly not a BLT soup. I think, if I ever make this again, the use of croutons will be required, crispy bacon will make an appearance, the garlic will be reduced, and in all likelihood I'll keep the kale.

I do have to say I love my greens. Specifically, I love them sauteed with a little garlic, salt, and pepper. In the mean time I'm at a loss for what to make and I'm not in the best position to get ingredients, so future posting may have to wait. I do see meatballs, or perhaps vegetarian meatballs, in my future - maybe spaghetti? maybe chili?

No comments:

Post a Comment