Saturday, February 6, 2010

Meat and Potatoes

The setting: My apartment when I'm in need of a break from research and writing my Master's Essay.

The potatoes: drizzled with olive oil, two cloves of smashed garlic, salt, and pepper. Roasted at 450 degrees for about 30 minutes. Why stop there? I decided to mash them with butter and a little milk. Crispy, roasted, mashed potatoes? WIN.

The meat: a steak, a delicious steak.



The method: I found this over on the Ideas in Food blog. Basically you take a cast iron skillet, sprinkle on some salt, let it get hot (start smoking) then put in the steak, turn down the heat to medium and turn regularly. You get an even caramelized, salty crust on the steak. Let it rest for 10 minutes to keep it at its juiciest.

My method: no cast iron skillet so I used a regular saute pan with an incredibly light coating of oil, sprinkling of salt, and everything else.

I made a jus after the steak was done - reduced wine and beef broth. Finished with a pat of butter. Simple.



The steak was amazing, but it will be even better when I bring up my cast iron skillet after spring break.



Also, I need to take less crappy pictures. Either way, it was a great Friday night dinner. I may need veggies at some point though, so lentil and canellini soup this weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment