Sunday, March 15, 2009

Salmon Cakes with Mac and Cheese...

So the mac and cheese is the same recipe as before only with bacon because, as my friend Mal puts it, everything can be made better with either the addition of bacon or whipped cream.

Salmon Cakes

These are super easy.

1 lb salmon
1/2 a red onion diced
1 tbsp chopped capers
1/4 cup chopped parsley
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1 egg
1/4 cup mayonaise
1/4 cup sour cream
1 tbsp dijon or coarse ground mustard
1 tbsp lemon juice
dash hot sauce (I used 1 tsp sambal)
1/2 cup seasoned bread crumbs (crushed croutons work well too heh)

salt
black pepper

olive oil

Freaking Awesome Sauce
1 tbsp chopped capers
2 tbsp chopped parsley
1/4 cup mayonnaise
2 tbsp sour cream
1 tsp dijon or coarse ground mustard
1 tbsp lemon juice
salt and pepper to taste

For the sauce, mix everything together and let it chill. Adjust the taste as you like, the current amounts offer a fairly balanced flavor, but extra lemon juice or capers could bring a little more acidity to it.

You can totally make these in a food processor, or by hand. Start by chopping the salmon into small cubes. Drizzle some olive oil in a pan and saute the onion almost until brown. Cool slightly, add to the salmon. Next add the capers, parsley, and salt and pepper. Mix until combined. Add the egg and mix thoroughly. In a separate, small bowl mix the mayonnaise, sour cream, lemon juice and mustard together. Add it to the salmon followed by the bread crumbs. Mix well. The mixture should be moist but still be easy enough to make small cakes out of. Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Saute the cakes for about 5 minutes per side or until brown. There you go... AMAZING.



*Two things: Salmon-wise I just got a 1lb bag of frozen, vacuum packed salmon... no sense wasting money since it's going to be used as a component in a recipe as opposed to the main dish. Also, notice how there's no dill in this salmon cake recipe? Yeah I bought some yesterday and when I opened to it today, it was moldy. By all means add a couple tbsps of chopped dill to the salmon cakes and a tbsp to the sauce... it'll be great, I just didn't have any :/*

Whole wheat Irish soda bread to come tomorrow. If things go as planned while I'm home, I'll have some pretty amazing recipes and stories to share.

Oh, and thanks, Shane, for the photo :)

4 comments:

  1. Yum yum yum! Matt has been begging for salmon/crab/some kind of fish cakes recently, so maybe I will give this recipe a try! Have you made it in a food pro before? I am thinking of doing it by hand, just to better control the size of the salmon and the overall texture of the mix. Hmm...we'll have to see!

    And it's so true...bacon bacon bacon!! We made some whole wheat strawberry pancakes this weekend (inspired by an Alton Brown recipe)-- a great example of a food that can only be made better with whipped cream! Also, served with bacon!

    Ok, now I'm hungry...come to Seattle and cook with me! :)

    -Mal
    http://pink.jemts.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha yes I totally must come to Seattle. I'm totally applying to some phd programs in the area :D

    Oh and yeah you can totally use a food processor. Also, to bolster the fish amount and save on money you can use some tilapia or some other bland white fish. I'm a fan of the chunky salmon.

    While I'm at home, I'd really really like to try some bacon and maple ice cream. Something else that can be made better with both bacon and ice cream :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would argue that there is no food that can't be improved with either garlic or chocolate. The exception I may have found is certain types of melon, like honeydew, I think that might be a bit awkward with chocolate, but consider my philosophy and come to the dark side.

    ReplyDelete
  4. haha, but then canteloupe and honeydew are superb with bacon... meanwhile my latest snack: chips and salsa with a crushed clove of raw garlic and a little sambal chili-garlic paste in it... yum!

    ReplyDelete