Sunday, June 12, 2011



I'm going to post this for future reference. However, this is a flawed recipe. The filling was tasty, but the soy flour added an almost chalky texture that, in the future, I'd like to avoid. Maybe cornstarch will do the trick. I'm apprehensive towards regular flour for the same reason the soy flour didn't work out.

The crust was good, and it worked out very well with the diluted vodka. That was a success. However, blind baking it for only 12 minutes left it soggy after the filling was in it and cooked. I want a crisper, less doughy, crust. In the end, I scooped out the filling into ramekins, topped it with some of the top pie dough, and called it a day. I'd love to come back to this recipe in a week or two.

Quadruple Berry Pie

Start with the pie dough from the last post. Roll out half of the dough and fit into a 9-inch round foil pan. I despise pie plates, so much wasted space. Freeze until firm. Prick all over with a fork, cover in foil, fill with beans or pie weights, and blind bake on 350 for about 12 minutes. Remove from the oven and let it cool. In the mean time, make the filling.

1/2 cup soy flour
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 cup sugar (I used 1/2 cup sugar and 1/2 cup splenda)
1/4 tsp salt

2 cups blueberries
1 cup blackberries, cut in half or quarters if they're very large
1 cup raspberries
1 cup strawberries, cut to roughly the same size as the other fruit

1 tbsp cherry liqueur or brandy, optional
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
1 tbsp butter

egg wash + sugar

In a large bowl combine the flour, sugar, cinnamon, and salt. Toss in the fruit until the mixture is cohesive, but be careful not to stir too vigorously or break up the fruit more than you have to. Sprinkle on the liqueur, lemon juice, and vanilla, and toss again.

Pour filling into cooled pie crust. Dot with butter. Roll out the other half of the pie dough into a circle about 1/8 to 1/4 inch thick. I had plenty to cover the pie with and scraps left over for decorations (if you swing that way). Make slashes in the top, lattice it, do whatever. I only opted for the, perhaps cliche, Pi symbol in the top of mine. I didn't even scallop the edges. I need practice with pie doughs and pie making.

Brush the top of the dough with egg wash and sprinkle with sugar. Bake at 350 degrees for 40 - 45 minutes until the top is golden brown and the filling is bubbling away. Remove from the oven and let it cool. Personally, I prefer pie either at room temperature or just barely warm. I think I'll serve this with a dollop of lightly sweetened greek yogurt.



Hmmm... I am debating about this pie. The soy flour definitely flavored the filling. Not in a bad way, mind you, but it's definitely there. I'm not sure what to think. More pies will be coming. Maybe mini pies. Something to take some of the pressure off of the filling...

2 comments:

  1. We need a picture of the finished ∏, piping hot out of the oven!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know, right! I've got it sadly, but this was such a failure I decided not to post :/

    ReplyDelete