Friday, June 10, 2011

∏ / 2

Pi / 2 Part One: The Crust

To clarify those who are not into math, I am making pie. Berry pie. Perhaps quadruple berry pie. We will see...

But first: the crust! I'm using the vodka crust I used for my quiche recipe. Here, it's in double-crust format. As an added bonus, since the filling calls for a little lemon juice, I thought I would add the zest of 1 lemon to the crust. Why shouldn't the crust be flavorful on its own, after all? Additionally, I've found something that actually makes the pie crust easier. Instead of using 1/4 cup each of vodka and water, I am simply going to use 1/2 cup diluted (42 proof) vodka. Brilliant! Clearly, I've diverged from the original Cooks Illustrated recipe.

Foolproof Vodka Pie Crust with Lemon

2 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1 tsp salt
2 tbsp sugar
zest from 1 lemon, optional

20 tbsp (2.5 sticks) of butter, sliced into 1/2 - 1 tbsp pieces

1/2 cup diluted vodka, chilled.

Combine the dry ingredients and and whisk together in a large bowl. Place the sliced butter on top of the flour and chill thoroughly (I place it in the freezer for about 15 minutes). Combine with a pastry blender by hand* until the mixture appears similar in shape and size to cottage cheese curds.

Pour the vodka over the mixture and fold with a rubber spatula until the dough comes together. Divide the dough into two, flatten into 4-inch disks and refrigerate for at least 45 minutes and up to 2 days.

*I don't have a food processor, so this is a bit more labor intensive than the original recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment