Sunday, July 18, 2010

A Fail and a Success... Blueberry Jam

So I decided to try out some Asian appetizers for my bf's birthday/going away party. He's going to China, so why not have some chinese appetizers? Ah the first of my attempts into Asian food. Well, not technically first, but eggrolls are pretty straightforward. I will say that store bought broccoli slaw mix and shredded cabbage make a delightful, easy filling when cooked with sesame oil and soy sauce, but I digress.

Pot stickers were a little tricky, folding and crimping the wonton wrapper and making sure the liquid evaporates after cooking them; I'm not used to either of these methods, but I guess we all live and learn. Well, the pot stickers stuck to the pan, but the filling was delicious. Note to self: use a non-stick pan... no, seriously.

Onto better and brighter ideas, at least until I get the nerve to attempt the pot stickers again. Now for some blueberry jam.

Blueberry Jam



Start with 1 pint blueberries
1/2 pouch liquid fruit pectin
juice of half a lemon and the zest of 1 whole lemon*
2 cups sugar

In a pan combine blueberries and sugar, crushing some of the blueberries so that the end result will have a nice texture.

Add in the lemon juice, lemon zest, and cook over medium to medium high heat until the sugar is dissolved. Bring to a full boil over medium high heat. Stir in pectin and boil hard for 1 minute.



Remove from heat and ladle into hot jars. If you're like me, I prefer to let this cool in the pan, transfer to a container and store in the refrigerator. In the fridge, it will last 2-3 weeks, thanks to the acid and the sugar. However, such a small amount of jam will not last even that long.

*I would like to say that you get a delightful, lemony zing in this jam. I love lemon and I love lemon with blueberries even more, so this is the perfect jam for me. However, if you're not such a fan, I'd reduce the lemon juice and zest by half.

Coming up next - healthy bran muffins. I know I'm an old man, but I love love LOVE bran...

No comments:

Post a Comment