Saturday, January 2, 2010

Grill, Interrupted

The first time I’ve ever actually grilled was this past summer… in France… for fifty kids. It’s needless to say, but it was definitely an eye-opening experience. Just from grilling countless pork chops and sausages I learned so many basics about grilling. I try not to eat much meat out of the cholesterol-phobia that my parents have instilled within me (my dad’s side of the family is rife with heart disease, diabetes, high cholesterol, high blood pressure, colon cancer – basically all things that can be avoided or at least kept under control with diet).

However, I’ve found myself wanting to grill more lately and in need of getting a grill pan. Living the grad student lifestyle hasn’t yet afforded me a grill, but I can get a close approximation with a grill pan.

Aside from that, I think it’s hard to beat high temperature oven roasting. At the beginning of my break, I roasted some leftover-from-Halloween roasting pumpkins to make some delicious puree now sitting in my freezer awaiting transformation into either pumpkin soup or perhaps a pumpkin and sage ravioli… but then again it’s hard to beat good pumpkin scones. Oh, the possibilities…



I also made this delicious salad from roasted vegetables last year. I don’t think I fully posted about it but, basically, after coating the veggies with olive oil and seasoning with salt and pepper, I roasted two eggplants, some red and green bell peppers, carrots, and onion. After it all cooled down, I sliced the larger veggies into similar-sized chunks and threw it all together with a little feta cheese. The only problem was the work put into the meal with the outcome of the food, in terms of quantity – it basically made three entrée-sized portions but took about 2 or 3 intense hours of careful roasting, seasoning, and preparing vegetables. You can’t beat a veggie salad in terms of health, though.



The other staple veggie I love roasting is the brussel sprout. Growing up I loved every green vegetable I ate, from asparagus to spinach to the tiny-cabbages that are brussel sprouts. When it comes to a quick side item, I always default to roasted brussel sprouts, onions, carrots, and potatoes. It’s a quick chop, season, and roast side dish that always has great results – something about the caramelized outer leaves and the tender center just brings out the best flavor from this humble little garden vegetable.

More thoughts, and more roasting, to come…

1 comment:

  1. Nice post! Don't know why I didn't see it until now... I totally agree about roasting! Made a roasted butternut squash soup yesterday that was so good! It caramelizes veggies which just rocks. Ina (Garten--we're on a first name basis) is a huge roasting fan too.

    Random thought: throwing some black or garbanzo beans in the roasted veggie salad might be a good way to bulk it up...make it go further in terms of quantity.

    And brussel sprouts! I wanna learn to like them. My parents love them--they always just sautee them on the stove, though, and it smells absolutely awful. I should try roasting some when I'm back at school though. Do you just roast them till tender w/ evoo and S&P?

    ReplyDelete