Monday, January 25, 2010

Gluten-free Brownies

My gluten-free friend Kat declared that these were so good she swears they weren't gluten-free. The initial recipe that I'm building from came from another friend Amanda. I've included the original brownie recipe because it is amazing in its own right.

Original, Amazing Brownies

2 cups sugar
1 cup butter
4 eggs

1 ½ cups + 2 tbsp flour
2/3 cup cocoa
¼ tsp salt

Cream sugar, butter, and eggs. Add flour, cocoa, and salt and mix thoroughly. Pour batter into a greased 9x13 pan. Bake at 325 degrees for 25 minutes. Do not overbake, or you will be sorry.

See? It's very straightforward and super easy. For my gluten-free version, I decided to use brown sugar to add some chewiness and my go-to gluten-free brown rice flour. Additionally, I added brewed coffee to make it moist and used Hershey's dark cocoa powder because it was all I had on hand. Ah, necessity really is the mother of invention (or reinvention as the case may warrant).

Gluten-Free Dark Chocolate Brownies

1/2 cup white sugar
1 1/2 cups light brown sugar
1 cup butter

4 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1 tbsp brewed coffee (left over from breakfast is perfect)

1 1/2 cups + 2 tbsp brown rice flour
2/3 cup dark cocoa powder (although regular would suffice)
1/4 tsp salt

Cream the butter and sugar. Add the eggs, vanilla, and coffee and mix just until incorporated and homogenous. Add the flour, cocoa powder and salt and mix until just combined. Pour into a greased and floured 9x13 inch pan and bake at 325 degrees for about 30 minutes. Again, don't over bake, the brownies should be just set in the center or ever so slightly wiggly. My time is based on using a glass pan.



The brownie on the bottom is inverted to show off it's amazing texture :)

I've made these bad boys twice now and, while the timing has varied slightly due to our oven not being the most accurate, they've turned out great both times - delicious, moist, and chewy - and all without gluten.

Up next, whenever I get time to finish the post - vegetarian mung bean and farfalle soup.

No comments:

Post a Comment