Saturday, September 12, 2009

Oatmeal Raisin Cookies

I love a good, chewy oatmeal raisin cookie. I want to modify my chocolate chip cookie recipe by adding cinnamon, oats and replacing the chocolate with raisins. The thing is, I think the oats may make the cookies less moist. Since I haven't tried this before I can't be certain, so I'm going to reconstitute the raisins in a little hot water before I add them to the batter. They'll likely dry out again in the oven and if not the excess moisture probably won't matter. Also, comparing different recipes I'm reducing the flour by 1/2 cup and using 2 cups of old-fashioned oats. Oh the joys of experimentation :-) (yeah those cumin raisin oatmeal cookies were an epic, throw-out-the-batter failure...)

Oatmeal Raisin Cookies

1 cup butter, melted
1 1/2 cups dark brown sugar

1 egg + 1 egg yolk
2 tsp vanilla

1 1/2 cups bread flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon

2 cups raisins + 1 cup hot water (let sit for 5 minutes then drain)
2 cups oats

Combine the butter and sugar thoroughly. Mix in the eggs one at a time followed by the vanilla. Combine the flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon separately. Add it in in 2 additions to the butter mixture. Finally, stir in the raisins and oats.



mmmm... cookie dough. Chill this mixture for 3 hours.

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Line a baking sheet with a silicone mat or baking parchment. Drop by rounded tablespoonfuls onto the cookie sheet and bake for 15 - 18 minutes or until delicious. I highly recommend testing along the way ;-)



Now it's time for a creamy homemade latte and an oatmeal raisin cookie - the best of all possible afternoon snacks.

Coming up next, since the previous entry was from last week, I'm making a healthy chicken salad - grape tomatoes, chick peas, spinach, and a reduced fat cream cheese and garlic dressing. We'll see how it all works out.

No comments:

Post a Comment