Friday, March 26, 2010

It's been quite a while...

Well, only a couple weeks. Since my last post I've gone through finals and most of my spring break.

Currently, in terms of my eating habits, I'm a little disappointed in myself. I've maintained my weight loss from last summer, and I've definitely toned up a bit as well, but I haven't lost any more weight. I'm setting a goal to lose 10 - 15 pounds by the end of spring quarter. That averages 1.5 pounds a week which, considering my running, should not be too difficult. The trick is going to be eating healthier more consistently. This past quarter saw a week or two of eating well followed by a week of eating not so well and weekend bingeing definitely occurred more often than I would have liked.

What I'd like to do is go through a 1 - 2 week carb cleanse, similar to phase 1 of the atkins diet where most carbohydrates (except for fiber) would be eliminated from my diet. In the past, especially when I've been eating healthfully, I noticed that my carbohydrate intake was restricted to vegetables like potatoes, sweet potatoes, and carrots, and occasionally some brown rice. This past winter quarter, and even fall quarter to some extent, definitely saw the end of that, so this cleansing process is really only to reset my eating habits. Also, the elimination of refined sugar will be particularly welcome since I have a sweet tooth that has gotten insanely out of hand in the past few weeks.

My plan after the next 2 weeks is to slowly become more reliant on healthy, whole-grain carbohydrates and vegetables. Ideally, I'd love to integrate oatmeal and other healthy carbohydrates into my breakfast options. However, for the rest of the day, I'd much rather stick with vegetables and fruits. Ultimately, I'd love to maintain this eating habit with a couple splurges during the week (which will definitely necessitate some dessert experimentation).

Basically, I'd really like to give this cleanse a shot and see what happens. First on the menu is an eggplant parmesan that should be pretty delightful. I've got a couple other recipe ideas to try out later, but I'd like to keep things as healthy and as vegetable-and-fruit oriented as possible right now. Updates and recipes to come...

1 comment:

  1. Yay for your return!! And good for your for all your commitments and will power! When my parents make eggplant parm, they bread it in wheat germ I believe (maybe mixed with something else, but I'm pretty sure it's 100% wheat germ). Also, you should eat lentils and quinoa, since they're both super healthy, high in protein/fiber, low in cost. Pretty much perfect. Though I suppose they are kinda carby.... Looking forward to your next recipe!

    http://bonappyall.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete