Monday, May 25, 2009

Advanced Brownie Theory - Gluten-Free Brownies

So in preparation for some gluten-free treats this weekend, I decided to experiment and develop my own brownie recipe that is kind of an amalgam of Alton Brown's theory, Ina Garten's practice, and my own experience with the world's best chocolate chip cookies. These are definitely not the One Bowl Brownies of yore... these guys are the mother of all brownies.

You see, for me, brownies have to be fudgey and rich. If I want cake-like brownies (or anything cake-like for that matter) I'll just make a cake and call it a day. Brownies, though, can be so much more. I used bittersweet chocolate in the hopes of getting a rich flavor, enhanced that with cocoa powder and instant coffee granules. I'm not a big fan of chunks in just about anything (I kind of like uniform texture in baked goods / desserts) but I added some chopped semisweet chocolate that should just melt into the batter creating these pockets of wonderful all over the place.

Bittersweet Chocolate Brownies

8 oz bittersweet chocolate chips (I used ghirardelli)
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter

4 eggs
1 1/2 tsp instant coffee granules

1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup brown rice flour
1 cup cocoa powder
1/2 tsp salt

1 1/2 tsp vanilla

Butter an 8 x 8 square pan pan, and line with a single sheet of parchment paper for easy removal. Preheat oven to 300. Get ready for AMAZING.

In a double boiler, melt the butter and chocolate chips. Take it off the heat and let it cool for about 5 minutes or so.



Mix the eggs first; they should be pale yellow and have an even consistency. Then sift/whisk the sugars, flour, cocoa powder, and salt together. While mixing, slowly add the dry ingredients to the eggs; the batter will be thick. Then add the vanilla and finally add the butter/chocolate mixture slowly, stirring all the while to ensure even incorporation. Pour into the pan, and bake for 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with just a wee bit of crumb on it (I start checking at 35 minutes). Definitely do not over bake these guys.

Lift the parchment out of the pan and cut while still warm. Then, let them cool completely. (Alton Brown uses a pizza cutter to avoid mashing and, if you have one, I highly recommend its use as well). Either way, cut them before they cool.



Let's count the ways I messed up my own recipe, shall we? 1.) I inadvertently doubled the amount of coffee when I made it. 2.) I left out the vanilla, realized it, pulled the brownies out after cooking for like a minute, stirred it in the pan.

Even with those mistakes, these guys turned out amazingly delicious (and actually the coffee thing just made them coffee-chocolate brownies - originally the coffee serves only to enhance the chocolate flavor, not to provide a flavor profile of its own). Oh and to make non-gluten-free brownies, just substitute all-purpose flour for the brown rice flour. This was a huge success; I now have my very own brownie recipe!

No comments:

Post a Comment